Friday, April 01, 2005

CRaZy or the Unconscious Speaking OUT?

Ah, a sigh of relief as the week closes. It has been a very high energy week, working with the kiddies at work (which let me tell you can hold many experiences in itself), rehearsing, rehearsing, and rehearsing for Godspell, and a little bit of studying for my exam. But, all in all it has been a good week. I hope that everyone's week has been positive and uplifting in some way.

A week consumed with basketball, driving kids around, learning the heel toe (hip hop 101), Chinese fire drills, art projects, and bowling has been draining to say the least. I lose my energy by noon (I refuse to give in to the idea that I'm getting "old" Benny-remember I have another year on you!) The kiddies told me this week that they think I'm crazy (of course they also told me I was black), being overly excited about everything, I think some of them seriously think drugs are involved. Oh, well. I keep telling them that they need to have fun, fun, fun! What good is life if you have no fun? Life is meant to be enjoyable, not stressful...

But, aside from that, I had an interesting experience. Without saying much, I ask this question to you all... have you ever almost slipped and said something that you're glad you actually caught yourself before the words could vomit from your mouth? Ever have one of those moments that you're so glad you didn't say what you were thinking and then stop and wonder why you almost said what you said? I'm not talking about a bad comment or thought, but one that just took you off guard? Is it the unconscious trying to speak to the subconscious, is it the subconscious trying to speak to the conscious? What causes the "freudian slip"? Named after Sigmund Freud, a freudian slip is "a slip of the tongue that is motivated by and reveals some unconscious aspect of the mind." Who believes in the unconscious level trying to speak? Some people don't buy into this idea..?

I, of course with a degree in art therapy, think the unconscious does try to speak. Afterall, most creativity is inspired by a level of the inner self, which of course from a psychodyamic approach such as Freud, would say artistic creations hold unconscious material that may not be recognized at first. Unconsious material can rise to the surface, but unless the person is ready to deal with the material it may remain unrecognized. But, what do you do with the unconscious material that becomes conscious? How to rationalize it? What if you're not ready to think of the material? What makes that material come at that moment in time? Blah, blah, blah...

Well, i don't know, just an interesting topic I thought. If you don't think so it doesn't matter, it's my blog and I can say whatever I want.... just joking. Seriously though I would be interested in hearing others point of view on the matter. Babble, babble babble, rabble, rabble, rabble.

Are you "bored out of your trees" yet? (I know that some people may not understand this phrase, but these are words from the very mouth of our good old musical director for Godspell). Ah, it's always interesting to interact with others because you just really have no idea what will come out of their mouth. So Ken, if you read this I'm not making fun, I like the phrase. I really do. I may try to ghetto-ize it though... what about "bored wit yur treez yo?" No good? Benny you take it from here....

Anyhow I really am just babbling now, so I will sign off and complete the paperwork I need to before I can leave. I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Peace OUT!

2 Comments:

Blogger World Traveler said...

hey, sorry we weren't able to take more this evening. Maybe it is time for a girls night/evening.

s

10:00 PM  
Blogger World Traveler said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home